Monday, December 23, 2013

Happy Christmas



 Here in Cameroon we say Happy Christmas. It is Dec 22 and Christmas is close.  The kids spent a day cleaning up the school.  It is not uncommon to see young children with a large machete, cutting the grass. 

Then we celebrated the end of term at Pledge with a Christmas Pageant.  Jessica was the angel in her class play of the birth of Jesus, Josh narrated the sixth grade play that I wrote, based on a book I read called the Colorless Book. And Emily was adorable doing an African Dance. I didn’t know she had such rhythm.

We also attended the St Joseph’s pageant where I teach and the Martins attend.  Pete played the guitar and the Martin kids and I led motions. On Tuesday I went to the HIV Christmas party.  We had Foo Foo Njamma jamma, and Christmas dancing. I had to miss the final day at the Treasure Center because of a schedule conflict.  I wish I could have seen them perform some of the songs I taught them. Thursday I said goodbye to the girls at Lourdes with a sing along.  Pete brought his guitar and was quite the hit.  But man, can those girls belt out some songs.
Friday we went to a Christmas party at the Seminary.  The seminarians have such beautiful voices; I just love to hear them sing. We had a huge feast and left before the speeches to get the kids to bed.

Last night we went to our friends the Shillinky’s to a “Wonderful Life party”. There was loads of treats and we got through the movie in three hours with the various power outages.  It was a great time of food and fellowship.  Each year I love the movie more.  What a beautiful reminder of how each of us is special and important in God’s plan.  I need that reminder, even here, when I feel that my role is so small.  This side of heaven I may never see the ways that we are impacting people in Cameroon.

Our little tree is full of homemade ornaments and the kids are eying the presents under the tree. Our stockings are hung by the chimney with care and the stained glass cookies are half eaten. 

Next update should be on the Open house we have planned for the 25th and 26 and our Christmas trip to Limbe (a beach with black sand).  We are truly looking forward to this time of respite and family time.   

May you too be blessed during this season.

-Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment