Thursday, September 4, 2014

Renewal Ministries



One of the things I am most passionate about is helping people to understand and experience God’s amazing love for them.  In sharing with others, I grow in my own faith.  This is what motivates me to serve as a missionary.

For some years now, I have been affiliated with Renewal Ministries, an organization based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, that fosters evangelization and renewal in the Catholic Church “by helping people know the personal love of God in Jesus and grow in holiness” (www.renewalministries.net).  Renewal Ministries sends mission teams to over 35 countries around the world.  Most missions have a charismatic dimension, but are intended to be an event for the whole Church.  My experience going on short-term mission trips to Tanzania, China, and Papua New Guinea definitely influenced our decision to become a full-time missionary family with Lay Mission-Helpers.

Recently, a team from Renewal Ministries joined me for a week here in Cameroon.  We led huge rallies in six parishes in four different cities.  We also facilitated some training sessions with priests and religious, and with lay leaders in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal.  It was a very fruitful week, and very positively received.
I have now been invited to serve as the Country Coordinator for future missions in Cameroon, and I will be attending a meeting in Ann Arbor at the end of September.  This means that Renewal Ministries will cover expenses for me to lead teams in the future, collaborating with the local Church leadership here in Cameroon to provide training and support for the work of evangelization and renewal.  I had the opportunity last week to meet with six bishops from four dioceses at their annual regional meeting, and they seemed very positive about what Renewal Ministries has to offer.

I see this as a nice complement to my missionary service as a Lay Mission-Helper.  The potential for an ongoing (perhaps yearly) trip to Cameroon will allow me to build on the relationships formed here, both with Cameroonian leaders and with other missionaries.  I am very excited and grateful for this additional opportunity to serve, to travel, and to share God’s love with others!



-Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment