Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Computer Classes



Hello from Bamenda!

We have been off line for 5 days now and have lost electricity and water periodically.  I am realizing that we can make do without these things (short term) but very glad we have pretty regular service at the Bishops house. I was heading to buy cow fillet (with Nester) this morning when the car broke down.  I walked to a friend’s house and after only a few minutes I got a call that the Bishop's tow truck was on the way. Once again, glad we are so well taken care of here.  As I write to you, I can hear the power mower that the Bishop's staff is using to mow the very large and steep hill by the house.  Usually mowing is done by swinging large blades.

The cement floors have been added to our addition and today they seem to be working on the windows. I am excited about having a new room.  Our futon is finished and is a great addition to the living room.  On pizza movie nights we are all nice and cozy and watching movies with the projector is like being in a movie theater. Pete and I watched a movie about Corrie Ten Boom –The Hiding Place. I highly recommend it.  Also saw Amistad - another great flick.

I studied hard to prepare for teaching my computer class and went and gave a 20 to 30 minute lesson to 6 classes.  I didn't get to two of the classes for lack of time. Basically ICT here is just learning the parts of the computer and the uses of various ICT's.  Later, they put me in a room with 3 and 4 year olds. I just sang songs with them. I couldn't imagine teaching them about computers. The pre K was by far my favorite part of the morning.  I may ask if I can come back and just spend more time with them. 

Today I got to see the computer lab.  There were 20 computers - at least 15 years old and I found out that only two of them work.  But there was no electricity to check them out. Also there is no internet connection at the school. I know those of you who know me are chuckling that I am teaching computers.  God works in mysterious ways.
-Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment