Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Amazing Day



What an amazing day. It started rather poorly. I begged off Mass and stayed home and made a picnic lunch for us and sprayed the whole house to try and regain primary occupancy. One of those days I would have just liked to crawl back into bed with a good book.

At 10:30 the Jacksons (who work for SIL-bible translation organization) came and picked us up. Their household this year consists of nine - only one biological child living there. Three Muslim girls and two American young adults, and a young girl from a neighboring village who has lived with them since third grade. Their 10 passenger vehicle arrived with all nine and the five us climbed in. We are learning there is always plenty of room for a few more in any vehicle.

We drove for half an hour up the hill and then hit another “major road” - not paved. At which point the kids got out and just hung onto the back of the car or sat on the roof.  Hard to believe Jessica and Emily were both in car seats just a few months ago.

We drove to one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. We walked around a lake, climbed the steepest hill/mountain I have ever climbed.  Had lunch on top of a grassy precipice. Got fogged in on top.  Got chased by some steer.  Trekked through gorgeous valleys and hills looking across at distant lakes and mountains. Saw sheep and horses and met a Muslim herder family.

We “had church” on top of a lovely hill - singing and praising God and just be so aware of his magnificent creation.  How could I not think of Jesus as my shepherd as I watched a local pass by, gently herding his sheep. His staff did not beat the animals, but carefully guided them. We sang “shout to the Lord” “I sing for joy at the work of your hands, forever I'll love you forever I'll stand. Nothing compares to the promise I have in you.” The song just came alive out there.

Tomorrow the kids start school and I imagine are life is going to shift dramatically. But it has been an unforgettable summer. Six weeks of visiting family and six weeks in Bamenda.

-Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment