Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Glimpses of Bamenda (Part 2)



Nestor our House Help is teaching me to cook some local foods.  Ndole is one of my favorites. Yup, that’s my stove.  

 Downtown Bamenda is only a ten minute walk.  I love to shop in the open market and maneuver my way through the crowded Main Market.  You can buy beautiful fabrics and have dresses made.
 


When you buy food you say “lettuce for 300” (60 cents) or “pineapple for 500” ($1) and get two or three pineapples, or “avocado for 500” and get like 5-7  avocados.  Yummy. 


This picture is of Rosie's.  Rosie and her husband own this shop.  I get most of my non fruits and veggies here-coffee, soap, rice, flour, sugar, TP, eggs, cornflakes, powdered milk, batteries, pens etc. There is a bigger Market with lots of American products, but it is quite pricey-cheese is $5 for 6 oz. 
 

This is our McDonalds. You can order meat on a stick, roasted corn, fish, or plantain to go.
 

This is Bamenda version of "Pay Less Shoe Store.
 

This is our Block Buster's.  Each packet has eight movies on it for $!. Pirating is not illegal here.
 

-Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment