Thursday, March 21, 2013

Modern Bamenda



I had fun taking pictures to create glimpses of Bamenda, but I so long to give a complete picture of our lives here. The best way is to get a plane ticket and come visit. But for those who can’t come, I wanted to show you a bit more especially the more modern parts.


We got a Cameroonian flag a few days after our American One went up.  The kids know the anthem in French and English, but I will just give print the English:

English lyrics


O Cameroon, Thou Cradle of our Fathers,
Holy Shrine where in our midst they now repose,
Their tears and blood and sweat thy soil did water,
On thy hills and valleys once their tillage rose.
Dear Fatherland, thy worth no tongue can tell!
How can we ever pay thy due?
Thy welfare we will win in toil and love and peace,
Will be to thy name ever true!

Chorus:
Land of Promise, land of Glory!
Thou, of life and joy, our only store!
Thine be honour, thine devotion,
And deep endearment, for evermore.

Bamenda had a population of almost 400, 000 people and is the largest cities in the North West. I had fun looking at the Satellite picture of Bamenda.  From above it looks just like any large suburb in America.  I was able to zoom in close enough to see our house and that the picture was taken before we had the addition put on.

We have many “modern” conveniences. The Supermarket has four isles and many products from Europe and America.  We can’t afford to “shop as normal” but it is nice to be able to get Pringles and marshmallows for SMORES for Josh’s birthday party. Did I mention that my bakery has a cappuccino machine?

When they first painted this building orange, I was horrified, but now I love it. You can see if from various hills in town and it is a great land mark. I love that it has a clock on it. 


 This building is a new faculty housing complex for the girl’s high school-here on the grounds of the Arch Diocese.  They are also building a new apartment complex on the grounds for Catechetical  Formators.
 
Have I mentioned that they have a million motorcycles here?  For 20 cents you can a ride quite far.  By necessity, I went on one in Kribi for about 2 miles (with Pete and the driver) and begged him to go slow-otherwise I walk if I can’t get a cab!


Bamenda was not my first choice of Mission spots, but now I wouldn’t trade for any other place.

PS did I tell you that Emily has lost two teeth in two weeks.  Can you guess which day the first came out???


 -Joy



No comments:

Post a Comment