Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Goat Investment Increases In Value!

By Joshua Newburn (Age 13)



Almost a year ago I made a purchase of a female goat named Ruth for about $60. My goal was to milk it, sell the milk, and finally sell the goat. But I was also prepared to have my whole investment be taken away if she were to die. I was glad I had another pet, and if it got me some money, great!

Soon I found out that in order for Ruth to produce milk, she had to have babies. So the milk idea went out of my mind and I just thought about how much I could sell her when we go back.

But my dad wanted more excitement than that. He arranged for Ruth to mate with a big, strong, and territorial goat. After a week, we took Ruth back and hoped for the best. Gradually her sides grew larger and we said, “Maybe she’s pregnant!”

A few months after the mating, we took a sonogram of her. It wasn’t easy because she was so hairy, and the picture was blurry. But we thought we saw a horn of a mini-Ruth.

A few weeks ago, Jessica performed at Carton Rouge in Yaounde and we went to see her. The day before we left I saw that Ruth’s belly was especially large. Jessica won the competition, so we celebrated, and drove back to Bamenda.

When we got home, we unpacked and settled down again. Suddenly Jessica ran into my room excitedly shouting, “Ruth had her babies!!! Ruth had her babies!!!”

Confused, I responded, “Babies? What? …Are you joking?” She beckoned me outside and to my amazement, there were two tiny kids lying beside Ruth. Nestor then told us that Ruth was struggling to get them out the morning we came back, but they were clean after Ruth’s protective cleaning.

I felt as if I was a new grandfather. Ruth had twins! I calculated the profit of selling three goats and also the excitement of milking her.

Now they are jumping around like as two growing (quickly!) goats. I thank God for allowing them to be in this world and showing me to trust him with my money.
 


1 comment: