Monday, November 11, 2013

Queen of the Mountain

By Jessica (Age 9)
Sunday afternoon we were going to go to the park to run when we got a message from our best friends the Jacksons. The message was inviting us to go on a hike to see the eclipse from the top of a waterfall. We decided that only the Newburn girls would go on the hike. When we got to the Jacksons, we asked them what kind of eclipse it would be and they said if it was a full solar eclipse it would not happen again in Cameroon for 500 years. So we took 14 people and Sherlock who is a big, rough, puppy. I didn’t really want him to come because he is so rough (and he eats shoes).


We drove for 45 minute to Sabga and we saw the waterfall.  So we parked the car and off we went.   We had to go up and around until we came to a great place to stop and have lunch.  We were not above the waterfall yet.  I had a mystery meat sandwich and for dessert we had yummy sour candies (American candy given to us for Halloween by our friends).  Everyone enjoyed them. Then we went higher up and Sherlock enjoyed chasing the cows and goats. Sherlock went out of control barking wanting to chase the cows. Then we saw two big cows that looked like they were ready to protect their herd.  So Chris, the leader of the group, went to check it out and the cows finally went away. 
 
We continued up the mountain. A short distance away we saw some rushing water that we had to go through to get to the other side. So I took off my shoes and went across like it was easy peasey. So then so people stayed under the shade of some trees or they could go up a big steep hill. I chose to go up, but Emily stayed down. It was very steep and not easy to climb. I had to shoo off some cows to make it to the top. 


At the top and after a while of waiting, we got to watch the eclipse. I was the only girl kid who made it to the top. Then I was talking to Chris and mom and he wanted the American candies.  So jokingly he said why don’t you go down and get them.  I didn’t know he was joking. So I went down and got them and brought them back up.

After a while we all headed down. At one spot I got to play in a part of the waterfall  with Mimu, the rest of the time we were relaxing, enjoying the views, and eating candy. Then, sadly, we had to go back. Through the hills we went, until we got back to the car and headed home. What a great day.

I hope you enjoyed my blog.

2 comments: