Thursday, August 16, 2012

First Week


We are still being treated like royalty here.  We dine with the Archbishop and the auxiliary Bishop every day.  There has been a Charismatic conference here all week, so there have been several other Bishops dining with us.  It is interesting to hear about various parts of the country.  I was particularly interested to hear about the Pygmies in the southwest part.  I had studied them in the 70's.  I was saddened to hear how much they have been exploited.

I hope to have built up my shopping and cooking skills enough to cook on our own within a week.  I still have to buy the cooking utensils and pans and navigating the market is quite a skill.

Let me try and describe the market.  Outside there are over a hundred tables selling all kinds of fruits, vegetables, eggs, and meat.  Inside the gates are hundreds of little booths about twice the size of a small walk in closet (like ours in CA) Each one sells all kinds of products.  One might sell all hair and beauty products, another cookies and candy,  You can get tupperware type products, cleaning products, coat hangers, brooms, clothing, paper goods-you name it it's there.  But finding exactly what you need is a chore. The stores are down numerous rows and are numbered, but I find myself wondering aimlessly and never seem to find the same shop twice.

I admit I caved yesterday and bought a Costco size jar of peanut butter-Jif.  It was $10, but is should last a few months.

We start Pidgin English classes on Monday with the kids. 

-Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment