Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Challenges and Blessings



As we approach the one year mark (and a seven week trip back to the US), I am reflecting back on some of the challenges and blessings we have had.  Often, the two have gone together.

Challenge:  The decision to send our kids to school locally and not homeschool was one of our hardest decisions, because we are so opposed to corporal punishment.  While our kids are not struck, they (and I) witness it frequently in the classroom.

The Blessing:  Our kids have really matured and become role models at the school.  They are also learning so much about the Cameroonian culture.  It is nice to have them see things from a non-American viewpoint.  Josh is studying WW I and WW II, and I feel he is getting a more balanced perspective then I did as a child. 

Challenge:  The inconsistency of water, internet and electricity can wear you down and can make it difficult to plan things (like Skype calls).  The gas tank for our stove ran out right in the middle of Emily’s birthday party.  But we managed.

The Blessing:  I have become much more flexible and patient—something for which I have been praying for years.  The kids are pitching in with chores and don’t say “Aw mom, I don’t want to” (usually) when I ask them to carry the trash up the hill to dispose of it or haul water.

Challenge:  Driving in Bamenda is scary.  The motorcycles, the pot holes, no lights or stop signs, the lack of paved roads, and the lack of rules makes it a bit stressful to drive.  We pray for protection almost every day.  Luckily, the roads are so bad you can’t drive over 20 mph most places in town.

The Blessing:  That we even have a car is a huge blessing.  We could take taxis around, which are plentiful and very inexpensive, but schlepping groceries would not be fun.  And there is no way we could have taken all these great trips.  Somehow, I had the foresight to pack a canvas car top so we can bring all our stuff on the trips.

Challenge:  Even though we live in the English speaking part of the country, we so often have difficulty communicating with people.  Some of the blunders have been funny.  I wanted to buy some chewing gum.  I was advised not to eat the gum, because here gum is glue.  Hee, hee.  Cameroonians say “no” so often when they are agreeing with you, which I just can’t get used to.  “Was church nice?”  “No, it was fine.”

Blessing:  Praise God I didn’t have to learn Swahili.  And I am brushing up on my French.  The kids too are learning French in school.  While Spanish would be more practical in the US, the benefits of learning any new language are tremendous.  We do have to watch out for Emily’s spelling, because they use the British “o-u-r” at the end of words instead of “o-r,” as in “flavor.”

Challenge:  It is hard to be away from family and friends.  I miss my Mom’s Club and my women’s group and my Bible Studies.  Group fellowship is pretty much just on Friday nights here.  Sometimes I just don’t feel like making the effort, but I don’t want to miss out.  And losing my dear friend Karen here was so difficult.

Blessing:  We have such a great support network here for Pete and me and the kids.  We couldn’t be more pleased with our new friendships.  And I love that it is so ecumenical.  We have Baptists, Presbyterians, Pentecostals, Full Gospel and Catholics all sharing their faith with love and acceptance.  We major on the majors, and minor on the minors.

I feel so proud of our family.  This has really been a tremendous opportunity for us.  We are so grateful to Lay Mission Helpers and the Diocese of San Bernardino for making this a reality.

-Joy

1 comment:

  1. Again, we are touched by your actions, reflections and thoughtfulness... Thanks to all your family members for the models they are... We are looking forward to your California visit this summer...

    ReplyDelete