Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Birthday Blessings


51 was not the most exciting birthday.  Pretty much just a regular day. But I did do a lot of reflecting on how blessed a day it was, and thought I would share a few:

·         No breakfast in bed, but  I got hugs from my three healthy, beautiful, faith-filled, and talented children.

·         No day off. But I got to sing and tell the story of the Unforgiving Servant and be reminded of God’s infinite love for me.

·         No gifts.  But by some miracle, Pete got a friend to come over and hook us up to an internet source, which thus far has been reliable and pretty fast.  We can actually watch short video clips without downloading for 30 minutes.

·         Bee had her baby on my birthday.  So now I share a birthday with the most precious little goat. I just wish we could have witnessed the birth.

·         No one sang “Happy Birthday” but thanks to facebook and email I got dozens of birthday greetings and accolades.

·         I didn’t have cake.  But the next day, the kids made me make caramel cake with caramel frosting and REAL M&M’s on top (and then we did sing Happy Birthday).

·         No party.  But on Friday, 25 expats came for praise and worship in our house. We all squeezed into our tiny living room and sang and praised until 9:30.  We talked about increasing “joy” in our lives.

·         No water most of the day.  But I had water long enough to “touch up” my hair. The kids say I now look like Legalos from the Hobbit, but I feel ten years younger.

·         No dinner out at a fancy restaurant.  But we are learning to eat very well and here and are so blessed to be among the richest 1% of the world.

·         No I don’t like the wrinkles that seem to be multiplying.  But I have excellent health and feel like “Sarah”, blessed with children in my old age.

·         I am so grateful that so many in the US are making our Mission trip possible. I am humbled that I am living off the generosity of others.

·         Though not the greatest birthday by earthly standards, thank you for making this a very special birthday.


-Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment