Friday, February 28, 2014

So Proud I Could Burst



Sometimes we wonder if we have made the right decision to have our kids in the local school. Today was a day I felt so proud of our kids for trying to integrate with the school culture here in Bamenda.

Jessica and Joshua were selected with ten other pupils from Pledge to participate in a dance competition.  I would describe it as half African dance and half Latino. At first I assumed it was like other occasions where are kids are selected to show off that Pledge has “white kids” at their school.  Josh last year was selected to participate in a bilingual performance even though he was one of the worst French students.  But when I saw my kids dance during practice, they were quite good.

The day of the performance, we had to go to a dusty parking lot and watched an hour and a half of traditional dance which was very interesting.  Then the “ballet” started which was what they were calling this modern dance.  Our kids were one of the last groups to perform and when they started dancing the crowd went wild.  The music was very cool and their dance was lively.  I hope you can see they short clip I sent. 

They danced as well as all the local kids Jessica and Josh both had huge smiles on their faces and I was so proud my eyes just teared up. Pete too was one proud Papa. 



Emily chose not to try out for the dancing, but she did hold the school sign. She is a bit more timid when it comes to public events.  


Our school “took first” as they say here. Pledge is only in their 3rd year of operation and I feel like they are really getting to be known as a school of excellence in all areas.  I am pleased that our family has been able to attend a local school.  We are the only Missionaries in Bamenda that don't home school and I am so proud of my kids for the sacrifices they have made and the extra homeschooling work they do.

Thank you for letting me brag about my kids a bit.

-Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment