Thursday, March 6, 2014

Bambui And The Taxi Ride



Pete was asked to teach Pastoral Counseling at the Seminary. He was thrilled because he feels this type of training is often lacking at Seminaries both in the US and Cameroon. Priests are asked to wear so many hats. It is hard to be good at all.

Pete asked if I would “co-teach” the class.  I was a bit reluctant because of the prep time and, the commute and speaking to bunch of young men (I am much more comfortable in front of women).  But how could I pass up the opportunity to teach at a major Seminary and to give these men a lay women’s perspective. Besides, I  feel like I am building up my resume if I ever decided to go back to work in the US.

So last Wednesday we had our first class. Pete did 90% of the prep, so that was relief. The class went very well and we ended the class with a human knot exercise.  I wish I had had my camera to catch two groups of twelve seminarians trying to untangle themselves from the knot. Their homework is write about the experience (frustration, teamwork).

After class, I said goodbye to Pete  ( he stayed for his 2nd class) and began my taxi ride home.  It takes about 45 minutes even though it is only about 8 miles. When the taxi stopped, it looked full, but I squeezed in the back seat with the three other passengers.  Shortly, the man in the front got out and I offered the front to the older woman next to me.  When she declined, I assumed she was kindly deferring to me.  But I soon realized she was  just being smart and understood how these cabs worked.  When the car stopped again a heavy set man climbed in with me and had me shift (sheeft we say) over  and onto the parking brake I went. Every time the driver had to shift the gears I had to lift my left leg or be groped by the driver.  I had nothing to hold onto so I kind of swished back and forth between the driver and the other passenger.

How in 18 months had I never noticed this?  Probably because I am usually in the backseat with the kids.

The next week, Pete gave me the car and he taxied back after his 2nd class.  I got some shots of what I see while driving.

Cow herding down the main road:
Car washing by the river:
Buying a gas tank for the  oven:
And my favorite.  A quick stop into the new Butchery.  Totally clean and now serving cheese, bacon, Italian sausage and ham!!!!!!!! YUM:

-Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment