Wednesday, July 9, 2014

4th of July



This was our first 4th of July in Cameroon, as we were home in the states last year. And it was such a great day.

Pete and I went shopping to get some red white and blue clothing for the family to wear to the ex pat gathering that evening.  We were amazed to find all kinds of American flags on shirts (we wondered if it was because of the world cup). The girls put red and blue in their hair, painted their nails with red, white and blue, and tied their hair back with red ribbon.  Josh made a homemade cake with an American flag on top.  Wish I had brought out the camera.
There were over 60 ex pats at the party from all over the North West Region. The group was from at least 7 countries. We had ribs and burgers, bratz and a gazillion side dishes and desserts. I was really touched that Pete was asked to say the grace before dinner, and more moved by what he said. He quoted from Galatians 5 that true freedom is not doing whatever we want to satisfy our flesh, but true freedom is being free to love one another with a grateful heart.  I have been reflecting on how blessed we are in North America and Europe.  We have so many choices and so much freedom. Yet often we have such a me, me, me, attitude. 

There is a song I love that says “I fly like a banner, anchored and free, only Your love does this to me”. I just love that imagery. 

Later we gathered to watch the fireworks. Not quite DC fireworks, but enough to delight the children. And the evening would not be complete without a bonfire and praise and worship. We had to move the singing onto the covered patio, while we enjoyed the sound of rain on the roof, but we got to praise and sing our favorite worship songs.  I love the way the kids go running to get drums to join in. 

We all went to bed late with smiles on our faces. I am so proud to be an American in Cameroon and I just pray we can be good witnesses and stewards while we are here.

-Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment