Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Radio Mission (by Joshua, Age 12)



Over the summer, we were wondering whether I would have enough missionary time without going to school and seeing those friends. All that I was doing was meeting with my Cameroonian mates for football not even every week. But now, that has all changed with my all new mission-radio broadcasting!

The first time Pasqual (my radio buddy) asked me if I wanted to join him for a program airing live two days a week (one hour on Sat and one on Sunday) and have my own program, I was surprisingly willing and enthusiastic about it. But soon I realized that it would be pretty hard to do two hours in a two-day period, and would take a great commitment.

The first 10 minutes of our first program, Pasqual seemed to be in his own world. He was looking straight and talking about the program and greeting dozens of villages. Then, suddenly he turned to me and asked me a quick question about why we have the American and Cameroonian flags up and flying in front of our house. Luckily, I was used to getting those one-second-preparation answers, so I talked on that for a bit.
The rest of the program, called “Youth Corner”, was a blast (not like an explosion, but an enjoyable time). Thirty minutes into the program it was time for me to do “The Kid’s Corner”, totally coordinated by me. Some children came in, and I read them half of an Arch Book story called 8 Bags of Gold. Then I asked them a handful of questions, not knowing how they would do.  But they did well and seemed to enjoy it.

We talked a bit about peace and then it was time for Fun Time! Someone came inside and told us some jokes, (most of which I didn’t understand) and then it was the end of the program.

I never knew that being a missionary could be so fun! True, there are some tough times, but for the most part I enjoy it very much. I am looking forward to doing another program with Pasqual, sharing the gospel with Cameroonians and hopefully changing their future lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment