Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Where Am I Going??



Even though everyone here speaks some level of English, I am amazed how often I have no idea what I am going to or what is expected of me.  Here are some examples:

Last spring, I was invited by an Irish Sister to what I thought was a planning meeting for next year’s counseling program.  She mentioned a few of the other professors and I was delighted to be part of the visioning. Pete and I arrived just five minutes late (early, really by Cameroonian time) to find 60 men and women in the room. It was then that I had the over whelming feeling that I had messed up big time.  These people were expecting a presentation. Yikes.

So while Pete led them in a few songs (without his guitar), I thought a few “stories” to tell.  Cameroonians love stories especially with meaning. Pete ran and got a PowerPoint he had been working on for another presentation and came back half an hour later, when we had just finished with my story of the “Stone Soup” and did a magnificent presentation on healing.

Another time I got a call from a priest asking me to do something on Sept 6th.  I thought he said it was a School Mass. I agreed to attend thinking that he wanted me there as I teach at one of the Catholic elementary schools. Later, I learned from Pete, that he wanted me there because I was a counselor.

The day arrived and I learned it was a ‘Youth” Mass, which is ages 18-30 and that they wanted me to do counseling after the 8:30 Mass.  Well, the 8:30 Mass ended at 1pm (had to run home and give my kids and guests lunch) and then run back.  They put me in some type of accounting room with three workers and said I would be meeting with “Youth” who wished to be counseled.  I politely requested a more private venue (but feeling like I was totally imposing).  They gave me two chairs in the middle of a spiral staircase of a tower.  That day I met with 6 young adults to listen to them and pray with them. It was a beautiful experience - but not what I was expecting.

Last week, I got a garbled call from the girls’ Head Teacher (Principal).  No, the girls are fine, phew.  He kept apologizing for the late notice, but I could not understand why he wanted me to come to school at 3pm (it is now 2pm). I agreed. I arrived at school, to find that I had been invited (because I consult there) to attend a going away party for the former Head Teacher and a commissioning of the new Head teacher. There were lots of speeches (including two about me) and then they asked me to present a present to the Head teacher.  Of course there were lots of pictures with me in the Center with the two Head Teachers and the Proprietors of the School. The event ended with a nice meal and a bit of fellowship—for the most part Cameroonians don’t talk much while they eat.
Last night I thought we were attending a birthday party for Sr. Therese.  We made a cake and brought a gift and flowers.  We arrived to find that it was not her birthday but it was the Feast Day of St Therese who she is named after. Oh well, just a small confusion.  She was gracious enough to smile when we greeted her with a “Happy Birthday”.
I cannot tell you how often I stick my foot in my mouth or am just totally clueless. Two years and I am still very often a fish out of water. But we have an expression here “small, small, catch monkey”.

-Joy

1 comment:

  1. You live an amazing life! What great training for extemporaneous speaking!

    ReplyDelete