Friday, June 19, 2015

Ending Well



During our four months of training at the Mission House we were blessed with so many teachers and mentors. A lot of what they said didn’t sink in until after we were in mission, but then it made so much sense. One instructor emphasized the need to ease into the culture.  That is the opposite to my nature as I like to jump right in an get things organized and get involved. But I followed this advice and it served me well. I plan to do the same (to a lesser degree in Illinois).

Another thing we were told was it was less important what we do as to how we did it.  I found this to be true over and over again.  It was the presence of our family living in Cameroon that meant the most to people.  They of course appreciated our ministry, but they just really enjoyed our family---- Doctor, Madame Newburn and the Trinity as some would say. Our presence was the true present.

And now going through my head, singing to me daily is “end well”. An instructor had told us that and it is something that Pete does very well and I do poorly. I am busy with airline tickets and moving vans and buying a house and it is easy to forget to stay focused on the now. Additionally, I am not very good at goodbyes. I just want to say a quick goodbye or no goodbye and slip out the back door. Part of it is that I don’t want a lot of fuss made about me when I feel I have done so little.  Part of it is the tears that well up, when I start to say what people have meant to me here.

I have been trying as best I can to say goodbye.  The school year ended for the kids May 28. We gave the school a collage of our time at the school and sang to the kids at graduation. Pledge was just the right choice for our kids. It provided good education with so many great cultural experiences. I loved watching Jessica sign a prayer before meal at the assembly and chuckled watching Emily holding a banner against inter-tribal war during a dance performance.

I finished at the Treasure Center in grand style. They had a huge assembly to honor me and to thank me. They danced and sang and had memory verses. Yes, I cried as I said goodbye.  I love those children so. I am convinced that they gave me infinitely more than I gave them.

Other goodbyes are still to come as we finish our last few weeks here. Part of me is rushing to finish up here and get on to the next adventure.  But God whispers “every day is an adventure, don’t rush, breathe it in, cherish each moment, end well”.

-Joy

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing your mission. Bill and I live in Chicago and would love to meet you and your family. We served in Uganda from 2/06 to 12/08.
    Good luck in your new adventure. Kate Walsh

    ReplyDelete